Beautiful French Dog Names – 140+ Fantastic Name Ideas
by Jessi Larson
French dog names have a beautiful, sophisticated vibe about them.
If you’re looking for a romantic and exotic name for your new pup, you should definitely consider these options!
French dog names are sweet and stylish, chic and classy.
Guaranteed, you most likely won’t find someone else with the same name for their dog. (And if you do, that’s awesome, because it means someone else has fabulous taste in dog names, too.)
Here are some ideas.
Male French Dog Names
Female French Dog Names
French Dog Names Based on locations and Landmarks
France is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, so you can’t have a list of French dog names without mentioning famous locations and landmarks.
- Paris – The capital and most populous city of France, Paris makes a gorgeous dog name.
- Marseille – Located on France’s south coast, Marseille is the country’s second largest city after Paris.
- Lyon – Lyon is a populous city in east-central France.
- Toulouse – Located on the banks of the River Garonne, Toulouse is the fourth-largest city in France.
- Normandy – One of the regions of France, Normandy is perhaps best known internationally for the Invasion of Normandy in WWII.
- Bordeaux – Bordeaux is a port city on the Garonne River and home to the Bordeaux Mastiff.
- Versailles – As in the Palace of Versailles, a royal château in Versailles.
- Seine – The Seine River stretches throughout France and cuts through the heart of Paris.
- Riviera – As in the French Riviera, the glamorous Mediterranean coastline of the southeast corner of France.
- Cannes – Located on the French Riviera, the city Cannes is famous for its film festival.
- Eiffel – The Eiffel tower is one of the most recognizable landmarks not only in France but throughout the world.
- Notre Dame – Meaning “Our Lady of Paris,” Notre Dame is striking medieval Catholic cathedral.
- Louvre – A central landmark in Paris, the Louvre is a historic monument and the world’s largest museum.
- Moulin Rouge – Moulin Rouge is best known as birthplace of the modern form of the can-can dance.
French Historical Figures
Many important historical events took place in France ushered in by noteworthy individuals. These figures provide awesome inspiration for French dog names.
- Napoleon Bonaparte – A French military and political leader, Napoleon launched military campaigns across Europe making France a dominant power in Europe.
- Louis XIV – King Louis XVI was the last king of France. He was executed in the French Revolution. ]
- Marie Antoinette – The wife of King Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette is a symbol of royal decadence.
- Joan of Arc – A young peasant girl, Joan of Arc helped inspire the dauphin of France to defeat English forces occupying France.
- Rene Descartes – Influential philosopher and mathematician, Descartes is dubbed the father of modern philosophy.
- Marie-Curie – This great scientist helped discover radiation.
- Victor Hugo – Considered one of the most influential authors in France, Hugo wrote Les Misérables and Notre-Dame de Paris.
- Charles de Gaulle – As the leader of the free French during WWII, de Gaulle later helped rebuild and lead the country after the war.
- Louis Pasteur – If you’re looking for a French dog name and consider yourself a science nerd, then this might just be the perfect name. Pasteur developed cures for rabies, anthrax and other infectious diseases and enabled the process of pasteurisation to make milk safer to drink.
- Claude Monet – A famed French impressionist painter, Monet was highly influential in the development of modern art.
- Paul Cezanne – Cezanne, a French post-impressionist painter, is considered a bridge between impressionism and cubism.
- Coco Channel – Considered one of the most innovative and influential fashion designers, Coco Chanel was instrumental in defining feminine style and dress during the 20th Century.
- Édith Piaf – The singer is widely regarded as France’s national diva.
Or, if you want a fun international moniker but French names aren’t for you, look up other exotic names using our dog name generator. Either way, we’ll hook you up with just the right name for your dog.
And for those with a French dog breed, a French dog name is a must! What types of dogs originated in France, you may ask? Quite a few. The most popular ones include the Poodle, Basset Hound, Brittany, French Bulldog, Great Pyrenees and Papillion. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. Check out a full list of .
You don’t need to have one of these breeds in order to pick a French dog name, however. Any dog is deserving of such a beautiful name!